Nehemiah Closes The Gates
Nehemiah’s Command closes the gate on sunset to sunset Sabbaths! No!
Neh 13:19 And when the portes of Hierusalem began to be darke in the euening before the Sabbath, I commaunded to shut the gates, and charged that they should not be opened till after the Sabbath: and some of my seruauntes set I at the gates, that there shoulde no burthen be brought in on the Sabbath day. (Bishops 1568)
- Nehemiah 13:15-22 contains a very interesting message that clearly reveals exactly when the 24 hour cycle DOES NOT START!
- This particular selection of verses is perpetually cited in an attempt to prove the 24 hour cycle starts at sunset.
- With reference to the sun having direct rays of light in the sky – the question becomes –
- What specific time frame does Nehemiah’s documented ereb (evening) fulfill within hwhy’s 24 hour period?
More questions for thought:
- Does Nehemiah 13:19 really expose what is claimed; (that sunset starts every Sabbath?)
- Will Nehemiah 13:19 prove sunset is hwhy’s intended design for the start of His 24 hour cycle from creation?
- Does the twilight mixture of light and darkness arrive before the sunset?
- What do the Scriptures indicate about the time frame for closing the gates of cities?
The two questions we need very defined answers for are –
- Is the phrase “as it began to be dark” specifically identifying the enlarging of shadows from direct sunlight – before sunset?
- Was “as it began to e dark” an actual absence of direct sunlight after sunset?
This study will make very certain that you clearly understand the difference of meaning between these two questions.
- Please note that we do not fully agree with the conclusion as given by Julian Morgenstern.
- It is very clear this passage from the Scriptures indicates without doubt the start of the Sabbath begins at Dawn.
- There will be a closer look at this in the upcoming charts.
- There the details will be examined thoroughly for the implications of events at the moment darkness envelopes the land.
The questions now will be:
- What does this event with Nehemiah look like on a time chart?
- Where was the sun’s position in relation to the gates of Jerusalem?
- When is the Sabbath in relation to the darkness that is settling on Jerusalem?
- Did Nehemiah command the gates to be closed BEFORE or AFTER SUNSET?
Was Nehemiah’s command to close the gates considered:
- “guarding the Sabbath” OR
- BREAKING THE 4TH COMMANDMENT?
Question #1: If Nehemiah commanded the gates to be closed at darkness (after twilight as dusk encounters night), then did Nehemiah break the Sabbath which started at sunset, according the Sunset Theory?
Question #2: Would Nehemiah, who is known for re-establishing the Commands of hwhy intentionally break the Sabbath?
Question #3: Is there ANOTHER ANSWER that will sufficiently fulfill the Torah; fulfill Nehemiah’s documentation AND ALSO ELIMINATE THE CONTAMINATION?
Another question must be asked: What was Nehemiah’s mindset on a full working Light Season?
The answer is found in: Nehemiah 4:21 So we labored in the work and half of them held spears from the rising of the morning until the stars appeared. (KJV)
Stone Edition Tanakh – from the rising of the dawn until the emergence of the stars.
For the six working days of the week Jerusalem’s gates were closed during dusk!
Some thoughts to ponder!
When the stars are appearing that is no longer DUSK, but the last part of twilight giving way to night, or total darkness. The gates would then have been closed after everyone was INSIDE the gates and this certainly would have been after sunset, and long into the evening. This gives even more evidence that on the 6th Cycle (Friday) with the gates being shut earlier was indeed an exception – Nehemiah had to get the traders OUT of the city to stop the buying and desecrating of the Sabbath – come Dawn!
Question #5: Do we have any more information on the practice of when the gates were to be closed in other parts of Scripture?
Yahoshua (Josh) 2:5 And it came to pass about the time of the shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out: whither the men went, I wot not, pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them.
The practice in this time was to shut the gates of the city when darkness had commenced.
Be an Example – Follow Nehemiah’s Footsteps – WHY?
Nehemiah taught the people according to the Laws of Moses as given by hwhy. That included the DAWN day-start!
Neh 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of hwhy distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.
Neh 8:9 And Nehemiah… and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto hwhy your Elohim; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.
Neh 8:14 And they found written in the law which hwhy had commanded by Moses,
Neh 13:1 On that day they read in the book of Moses in the audience of the people
The Laws of Moses are Supreme!