To Moon or not to Moon Part 8
YaHuWaH’s people seek after pagan gods!
Why would YaHuWaH’s people be enticed to exchange their worship for pagan gods?
Our previous study exposed the 1611 translators as having deliberate intentions to uphold some Jewish calendar traditions. But, the translators should not have to bear all of the fault for the calendar problems we are now dealing with.
In this study, we are going to examine the Tanakh history from Adam up to 700 BC to understand where, when, and how YaHuWaH’s people came to adopt sun and moon calendars.
Reminder from John the beloved.
Joh 21:25 Now there is much else that יהושע did. If every one of them were written down, I think that the world itself would not contain the written books. Amĕn.
This is likely the very last verse John ever penned in the Brit Chadashah! If the whole world cannot contain every detail of Yahusha’s life on earth, it would be impossible for the Scriptures to give every detail of the Tanakh historical events. That means every single word in the Scriptures is of extreme importance. We must search to find all the puzzle pieces that are given in these ‘Words’ to know the whole truth!
Psa 24:3 Who does go up into the mountain of יהוה? And who does stand in His set-apart place?
Psa 24:4 He who has innocent hands and a clean heart, Who did not bring his life to naught, And did not swear deceivingly.
Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol?
How would this thought be linked to calendar?
Jews and the Moon
- Most Christians that know anything about the Scriptures, or Jewish beliefs, also know the Jews follow the moon to calculate their Biblical month.
- Because of this, most make the assumption (and believe) the Festal month really is based on the moon.
- if I have looked at the sun when it shines, or the moon moving in brightness,
- so that my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand –
- that too is a punishable crookedness, for I would have denied Ěl above.
Is the Moon really in charge of the Festal Biblical Month?
Is there a Lunar Deception?
Or are we dealing with something much more serious?
A Lunatic Authority?
Questions that need answers for this study
- Where did sun and moon worship really begin?
- Did this happen somewhere between the generations of Adam and Noah?
- Do the sun god and moon goddess represent the major ‘no gods’ or are there other more important pagan gods?
- If the sun god and moon goddess are the dominant pagan gods, which one of the two takes the #1 position?
- If sacred regard is given to the sun and moon for any reason, is this classed as worship?
- If the sighting of the sun and moon are part of the worship calendar, is that action regarded as worship or serving?
- Will this study be able to conclude which is more deceptive? Sun worship or moon worship?
Job and the Moon…
Was it a Mystery?
- At the time of Abraham, YaHuWaH’s people were known as Hebrews.
- Job lived around the time of Abraham – long before the 12 tribes of Yisra’El, or any Jews. He would not be secretly enticed with the moon.
- This study will examine the history beginning with Adam to Noah.
- Then we will examine the history from Shem to Abraham and the Tanakh history of the northern tribes of Yisra’El (today) and the tribe of Judah (next time).
- The ‘moon’ mystery will be solved through understanding the history.
Jews and their Moon – Are we dealing with a Secret?
- Most people believe the Jews (today) are correct in following certain phases of the moon in connection with their feast and festival worship statutes.
- The 2 verses in Deut 4 & 17 deliver a strong statute warning against regarding the moon for anything on a worship calendar. (These warnings are DELIBERATELY IGNORES by Judaism!)
Is it not A GREAT WONDER why ‘their moon’ is not even questioned by astute Scriptural students?!
This secret will be solved through:
- Understanding exactly what happened after the flood (from Shem to Abraham) and when the worship of ‘other gods’ actually became a strong practice among pagans.
- Understanding the history of Terah and his family coming out of Ur of the Chaldees and how they were affected by pagan gods.
- Understanding that we are to follow the examples of Job and Abraham.
- Understanding exactly what Moses taught through Torah about worshipping ‘the created’ rather than ‘the Creator’.
- Understanding the history of both the northern tribes of Yisra’El before they were scattered (Part 1) and then the history of Judah from that point onward (Part 2). What gods were the 12 tribes mesmerized by?
- What tribe has never let go of their ‘no gods’?
Yes, we will be picking on the moon in this study!
- Out of all the ‘no gods’ what ‘gods’ take supremacy?
- Would the sun god and the moon goddess be two supreme gods?
- Out of these two, which ‘god’ earns 1st place?
Adam, Eve and the Serpent
- Satan, as fallen Lucifer, posed as one that knew more than the Creator.
- Therefore, he was posing as a ‘higher’ god, for the purpose of usurping worship.
- The serpent was the first of every ‘no god’.
- Assuming the two most popular choices of ‘no gods’ are the sun god and moon goddess, which one would Satan most likely be representing in the garden?
Rom 1:25 who changed the truth of Elohim into the falsehood, and worshipped and served what was created rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amĕn.
Calendar of YaHuWaH
Part 1: From Creation to 700 BC
History from Adam to Hezekiah
Keeping the events in order of date is very important for this study.
Patriarchs, Prophets, and Kings of YaHuWaH
Will the Men of YaHuWaH stay true to their Creator and the Eternal Calendar that was given to Adam?
Next: Let’s check out some genealogies and see if there was a reliable line of communication between generations.
Great Men of YaHuWaH from 4000 to 2000 BC
Dates of Biblical Events from Creation
Noah established the month length of the Eternal Calendar in the Flood Account.
The Torah proves from the Flood to Mt Sinai the Creation Months were 30 days per month for the first 1656 Years! (Note: All dates are close approximates)
Noah and the Flood – 30 Day Months
Great Men of YaHuWaH from 2000 to 1000 BC
Eternal Calendar preserved with the Great Patriarchs of YaHuWaH
The Elohim of Joseph 1700 BC
Psa 81:3 Blow the ram’s horn at the time of the new month [H2320/chodesh], in the time appointed, on our festival day.
Psa 81:4 For this is a law for Yisra’ĕl And a right-ruling of the Elohim of Yaʽaqoḇ.
Psa 81:5 He appointed it in Yehosĕph for a witness, When He went throughout the land of Mitsrayim; I heard a language that I did not know.
Joseph preserved the Eternal Calendar until Moses
The Greatest Patriarch of YaHuWaH preserves the Eternal Calendar in writing
Moses 120 Years 1571-1451 BC – 2550 Years from Creation
Moses was the first patriarch to record YaHuWaH’s Eternal Calendar in the Torah. Up to that time, information was handed down orally from Adam onward.
YaHuWaH’s Eternal Calendar kept and preserved from Pesach/Passover at Mt Sinai 1491 BC.
The Old Paths were preserved by the patriarchs and prophets for 2550 years.
How did the ‘no gods’ enter the picture?
‘no gods’ Before the Flood
- Today there are 1000s of ‘no gods’ but this wasn’t always so.
- Before the flood, it is now believed pagan gods were first actually mortal men. They were born, waged war, had children, and died, whereupon they were deified as gods by their descendants. This is not wild speculation. On the contrary, this is a position taken by nearly all historians of antiquity including: Isaac Newton; Augustine of Hippo; Eusebius; Justin Martyr; Josephus, etc.
- It was commonly believed that if a man was good enough, he could become a god too. This carried on down to the Roman Caesars including the Roman Pontiffs today.
- The mythologies were real stories of real men, embellished as gods in their afterlife.
Humans Worshipped as Pagan ‘gods’
- Augustine (400 AD write): “those deities who are reckoned gods of the higher orders have gone from un into heaven. Ask whose sepulchers are pointed out in Greece.”
- To simplify it, the pagan gods of the higher-order were simply men; their graves in Greece.
- They started life as men and were deified and ‘dressed up’ by those who survived them.
- This was a pagan practice common enough to be captured in the pages of Scripture.
Act 12:21 And on an appointed day Herodes, having put on his royal clothes, sat on his throne and gave an address to them.
Act 12:22 And the people kept shouting, “The voice of a mighty one and not of a man!”
Act 12:23 And instantly a messenger of יהוה smote him, because he did not give the esteem to Elohim. And becoming worm-eaten, he died.
Hebrew heroes were not deified.
Gen 11 – 1925 BC – Terah’s Family
- Even though the family of Shem, through Terah, had a knowledge of the proper worship of YaHuWaH, their worship was also corrupted by idolatry, serving other gods in Ur of the Chaldees.
- Gen 11:31 Terah took Abram, Lot and Sarai ‘and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees’
- Jos 24:2 And Yehoshua said to all the people, “Thus said יהוה Elohim of Yisra’ĕl, ‘Long ago your fathers dwelt beyond the River – Teraḥ, the father of Aḇraham and the father of Naḥor. And they served other mighty ones.
Terah remains in Haran
- Terah did not proceed beyond Haran, feeling this was ‘his’ land of Canaan.
- Terah (H8646; Terach) had a family business of manufacturing idols.
- The main ‘no gods’ of Ur were the ‘sun god’ and ‘moon goddess’.
- What kind of gods may Terah have been involved with?
- Josh 24:2 declared Terah (and family) served other gods. Out of Ur this would have been gods fashioned after Nimrod and Semiramis.
- Note: Abraham left for Canaan. Laban did not.
Abram searches out Canaan (Gen 12:1-4)
- It was in Haran (at Terah’s death) that Abram received the divine call to continue to Canaan.
- Questions: Was Abram an idolater before his call?
- Although Abram was not entirely free from the influence of idolatry in his father’s house, there is no indication in the Scriptures that idol worship was part of his life.
- Gen 26:5 Abram obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
- This may be the reason why Abram was ‘called out’ of Canaan. Lot went with him.
- What about the rest of Terah’s family … Nahor?
Commentary from ‘Terah’ and ‘teraphim’
Gen 31:25-35 “Why hast thou stolen my gods?”
- (The Wycliffe Bible Commentary) Here he [Laban] referred to his (teraphim) (v.30; cf. 19). Evidently Laban was more concerned over losing his images than over losing Jacob’s family. His search failed to discover these little ‘gods’.
- (Barnes’ Notes) Teraphim; (OT:8655). This word occurs three times in this chapter, and nowhere else in the Pentateuch. It is always in the plural number.
The teraphim were symbols or representatives of the Deity, as Laban calls them his gods. They seem to have been busts of the human form, sometimes as large as life. (1 Sam 19:13). Those of full size were probably of wood; the smaller ones may have been or metal. They have been worn on an ephod for the purposes of divination (Gen 3:27). The employment of them in the worship of God, which Laban seems to have inherited from his fathers (Josh 24:2), is denounced as idolatry (1 Sam 15:23); and hence, they are classed with the idols and other abominations [eventually] put away by Josiah (2 Kings 23:24).
Which ‘no god’ gains the authority?
The sun god?
Or the moon goddess?
Let’s begin by examining ‘Laban’.
Investigation on the Hebrew Name Laban
Gen 31:30 “And now you have gone because you greatly long for your father’s house, but why did you steal my mighty ones?”
Gen 31:34 Now Raḥĕl had taken the house idols and put them in the camel’s saddle, and sat on them. And Laḇan searched all about the tent but did not find them.
Comparing ‘Terah and Images’ to ‘Laban and the Moon’
- There is very strong indication now that Terah did have an occupation in Haran of making [moon] idols for distribution.
- Remember, Terah came out of Ur, the first center for major idol worship and Haran was also a moon worshipping center.
- There is no Scripture stating those words, but the connection can be proven through the name Terah, and the ‘teraphim’ family idols that were in Laban’s possession nearly 200 years later – only to be coveted and stolen by Rachel.
The Family Business of Terah
- Terah’s business of manufacturing idols would have been passed down through the generations, thus a line of precious family idols.
- Everything is pointing back to those ‘family idols’ as being connected to moon worship (Laban/Lebanah). These were moon idols – linked to Semiramis in Babylon.
Egypt and Moon Worship
- Abraham was told his descendants would be in bondage to Egypt, not returning to Canaan for 430 years.
- Egypt had ‘Ra’ as their sun god and ‘Isis’ as their moon goddess.
- It’s very likely these two major gods were a snare to YaHuWaH’s people while in bondage.
- Egypt’s sun god ‘Ra’ was challenged by the 10th plague of Egypt resulting in the death of the firstborn of each family.
- At Pesach/Passover, all firstborn ‘under the blood’ were delivered from death.
- There are 42 campsites on the journey to Canaan. Let’s examine Campsite #11.
1490 BC Mt Sinai: 11th Campsite
- The #11 connects to negative concepts of reproof, warning, and disorder.
- The root word for ‘Sinai’ means ‘tares, thorns, and demons’ [neg. form].
- In the Syric language, ‘SINAI’ MEANS ‘TO SHINE’ AS THE ‘MOON’ WHICH WAS AN OBJECT OF WORSHIP IN THE AREA.
- THIS CAMPSITE, FOUND IN AN AREA OF MOON WORSHIP, is the very place where the enemy planned to again exalt his throne over YaHuWaH’s.
- Only 40 days after the everlasting covenant was spoken, YaHuWaH’s people had broken their covenant agreement, and were found dancing before the image of the Egyptian false trinity.
- This action was clearly a case of blasphemously mixing worship intended for YaHuWaH as well as being mixed with idolatry.
11th Campsite: False Trinity
Exo 32:4 And he [Aaron] took this from their hand, and he [Aaron] formed it with an engraving tool and made a moulded calf. And they said, “This is your mighty one, O Yisra’ĕl, that brought you out of the land of Mitsrayim!”
Exo 32:5 And Aharon saw and built an altar before it. And Aharon called out and said, “Tomorrow is a festival to יהוה.”
- The golden calf was not a single entity. There were three ‘gods’ represented in Aaron’s design at the base of Mt Sinai.
- They physical altar site still stands at the base of Jebel el Lawz along with photos of what the Egyptian calf ‘god’ most accurately looked like.
Moses gives strict commands in Deut 4:15-19; 17:2-5
Moses told the people not to follow the pagan gods. But, he also said, after he dies that is exactly what they will do!
If there be any found among you that:
- Corrupt yourselves by lifting your eyes unto heaven, seeing the sun, moon, stars, and all the host of heaven …
- If then you are driven to worship them, serve them, or give them sacred regard for any reason …
- That person shall be stoned until they die.
- For YaHuWaH has commanded that none should serve or give sacred regard to other gods represented by the sun, moon, and stars.
- The pagans began their days with looking to the sun.
- They also began their months by looking to the moon.
- YaHuWaH’s calendar commencements do not follow the ways of the pagans by looking to the sun or the moon for calculation of His worship times.
- Therefore, there is nothing more offensive to YaHuWaH than the mixing of these profane, idolatrous practices with His sacred worship.
- This would be the ultimate blasphemy and an act tantamount to the highest level of spiritual rebellion – it’s an abomination!
- It was these pagan roots that were found at the base of Mt Sinai only 40 days after the people had agreed to YaHuWaH’s everlasting Covenant!
- Beware of falling into idolatry while professing to worship your Creator.
What about the ‘Calendar’ and Christian Churches today?
- Sunday Christians: all honor their day of worship on ‘Sunday’ – giving homage to the ‘sun god’ from ages past.
- Sabbath Keepers: most honor the opening of their worship days beginning with the sunset the night before Sabbath, paying homage to the ‘sun god’ from ages past.
- Sabbath Keepers/most Feast Keepers: In addition to honoring sunset, most also honor the moon for the Biblical month-start, thus paying homage to the ‘goddess of the moon’.
Which of the 3 groups is most deceived?
History from Judges to Malachi
The history of the apostasy in the Tanakh magnifies considerably after Moses dies.
Beginning with Judges is where the Scriptures FIRST mention Baal and Ashtoreth.
Common Terms in the Tanakh:
Baal = sun god (or Baalim, plural)
Ashtoreth = moon goddess
Will one of these pagan gods be dominant?
The snares of the ‘no gods’
Right from the Garden of Eden, where ‘another god’ was honored, the whole Tanakh history is tainted with roots that link to paganism.
Yisra’El (and all pagan nations) worshipped many, many gods. Was every pagan god a snare to Yisra’El, or was something else going on in the background?
The snares of Baal and Ashtoreth
- This study will show the many times Yisra’El and Judah fell back into apostasy.
- The main gods that were a snare to Yisra’El that keep coming to the forefront are:
- The sun god (Baal/Baalim) and 2) the moon goddess (Ashtoreth).
- Right from Mt Sinai these are the first two gods that Moses instructed the people NOT to worship!
- Moses commanded the people to not even think about ‘looking to the sun or moon’ as they would soon be enticed to worship these creations like the pagans do (Deut 4:19; 17:3).
Lift H5375 nasa’; exalt, hold up, magnify, respect. Do not ‘lift up thine eyes’!
‘Appreciation’ Needs Clarity
- There is nothing ‘wrong’ or ‘evil’ about taking the time to admire and appreciate any of YaHuWaH’s creation that is given to bless the earth and mankind. All creation is the work of His mighty hand.
- Rom 1:25 is a reminder to worship and serve the Creator, not the ‘created’.
Job Provides Clarity
Job 31:26 if I have looked at the sun when it shines, or the moon moving in brightness,
Job 31:27 so that my heart has been secretly enticed, and my mouth has kissed my hand –
Job 31:28 that too is a punishable crookedness, for I would have denied Ěl above.
Who is Baal? Do we really know?
Baal, the most significant male deity of the Canaanites, along with his companion Asherah, were the most alluring deities confronting Yisra’El in the promised land.
Abundant references to Baal in the Tanakh indicate his attractiveness and influence on the Yisraelites.
The Book of Judges chronicles the numerous times YaHuWaH’s people fell to the temptation of Baal worship.
Ahab and Jezebel made Baal worship the royal religion of the northern kingdom (1 Kings 16:29-31) with a Baal temple in Samaria.
Baal, like Asherah, was also worshipped at high places (also known as ‘groves’) and required child sacrifices.
Baal’s Companion – Who is it?
- Because of Yisra’El’s incomplete conquest of the land of Canaan, the roots of Asherah-worship from Semiramis survived and plagued Yisra’El, starting as soon as Joshua dies (Judg 2:13).
- Considered as the moon goddess, Ashtoreth/Asherah was often presented as a partner of Baal, the sun god. (See Judg 3:7; 6:28; 10:6; 1 Sam 7:4; 12:10.)
The Groves of Ashtoreth/Asherah
- This moon goddess was represented by a limbless tree trunk planted in the ground.
- The trunk was usually carved into a symbolic representation of the goddess.
- Because of the association with carved trees, the placed of Ashtoreth, (Asherah worship), were commonly called ‘groves’.
The Hebrew family words of ‘Asherah’ (plural, ‘asherim’) could refer either to the moon goddess or to a grove of trees.
Asherah Worship Forbidden
- YaHuWaH, through Moses, forbade the worship of Asherah.
- The Law specified that a grove of trees was NOT to be near the altar of YaHuWaH (Deut 16:21).
- Despite these clear instructions, Asherah worship was a perennial problem in Yisra’El.
- As Solomon slipped into idolatry, one of the pagan deities he brought into the kingdom was Asherah, called ‘the goddess of the Sidonians’ (1 Kings 11:5, 33).
Names and Symbols of Ashtoreth
Ashtoreth Connection to May Poles
Ashtoreth – the Moon Goddess
In Babylon the moon was a god, but after the rise of the solar theology, when the larger number of the Babylonian gods were resolved into forms of the sun god, their wives also became solar, Ishtar, ‘the daughter of Sin’ the moon god.
In Canaan, Ashtoreth, as distinguished from the male Ashtar, dropped her warlike attributes and became a moon goddess.
The ‘Queen of Heaven’
Jezebel and Moon Goddess Worship
Along with Baal, Jezebel made Asherah worship even more prevalent, with 400 prophets of Asherah on the royal payroll (1 Kings 18:19).
Throughout history, Yisra’El and Judah were constantly tempted to worship this pagan goddess and attend her rituals.
It was this forbidden practice which finally led to Judah’s captivity and the seventy years in Babylon even though many good kings destroyed the Asherah groves.
Ancient and Modern Asherah Poles
Stay Away from the Groves!
YaHuWaH absolutely detested the worship of His people to visit the tree poles in the high places and groves – paying tribute to the moon goddess!
- Deu 16:21 “Do not plant for yourself any tree as an Ashĕrah near the altar of יהוה your Elohim that you make for yourself. Deu 16:22 “And do not set up a pillar, which יהוה your Elohim hates.
- 1Ki 11:5 [985 BC] And Shelomoh went after Ashtoreth the mighty one of the Tsiḏonians and after Milkom the abomination of the Ammonites.
- 1Ki 11:33 [985 BC] ‘Because they have forsaken Me, and bow themselves to Ashtoreth the mighty one of the Tsiḏonians, to Kemosh the mighty one of the Mo’aḇites, and to Milkom the mighty one of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in My ways – to do what is right in My eyes, and My laws and My right-rulings, as did his father Dawiḏ.
- These groves were an abomination to YaHuWaH. Why?
The Groves and The Garden
It is now time to review the Tanakh records of Yisra’El’s sacred regard for pagan gods and what they stand for!
YaHuWaH predicts Yisra’El’s rebellion
Deut 31:16 1451 BC
Deu 31:16 And יהוה said to Mosheh, “See, you are about to sleep with your fathers. And this people shall rise and whore after the mighty ones of the strangers of the land into the midst of which they shall enter, and forsake Me and break My covenant which I have made with them.
Moses foresees Yisra’El’s rebellion
Deut 31:27, 29 1451 BC
Deu 31:27 for I myself know your rebellion and your stiff neck. See, while I am still alive with you today, you have been rebellious against יהוה, then how much more after my death?
Deu 31:29 “For I know that after my death you shall do very corruptly and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you. And evil shall come to you in the latter days, because you do what is evil in the eyes of יהוה, to provoke Him through the work of your hands.”
Other ‘gods’ of Yisra’El?
Apostate People of Psalms 81:8-12
Psa 81:8 “Hear, O My people, and let Me warn you, O Yisra’ĕl, if you would listen to Me!
Psa 81:9 “Let there be no strange mighty one among you, And do not bow down to a foreign mighty one.
Psa 81:10 “I am יהוה your Elohim, Who brought you out of the land of Mitsrayim; Open your mouth wide, and I fill it.
Psa 81:11 “But My people did not listen to My voice, And Yisra’ĕl would not submit to Me.
Psa 81:12 “So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart, To walk in their own counsels.
Joshua’s Instructions 1425 BC
Jos 24:14 “And now, fear יהוה, serve Him in perfection and in truth, and put away the mighty ones which your fathers served beyond the River and in Mitsrayim, and serve יהוה!
Jos 24:15 “And if it seems evil in your eyes to serve יהוה, choose for yourselves this day whom you are going to serve, whether the mighty ones which your fathers served that were beyond the River or the mighty ones of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But I and my house, we serve יהוה.”
Jos 24:16 And the people answered and said, “Far be it from us to forsake יהוה, to serve other mighty ones,
Jos 24:17 for יהוה our Elohim is He who has brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Mitsrayim, from the house of bondage, who did those great signs before our eyes, and has guarded us in all the way that we went and among all the people through whom we passed.
Jos 24:18 “And יהוה drove out from before us all the people, even the Amorites who dwelt in the land. We too serve יהוה, for He is our Elohim.”
Forsake the Strange ‘gods’!
Yisra’El’s Promise: Joshua 24:20-24 1427 BC
Jos 24:20 if you forsake יהוה and shall serve mighty ones of a stranger. Then He shall turn back and do you evil and consume you after He has been good to you.”
Jos 24:21 And the people said to Yehoshua, “No, but we do serve יהוה!”
Jos 24:22 Then Yehoshua said to the people, “You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen יהוה for yourselves, to serve Him.” And they said, “Witnesses!”
Jos 24:23 “And now, put away the mighty ones of the stranger which are in your midst, and incline your heart to יהוה Elohim of Yisra’ĕl.”
Jos 24:24 And the people said to Yehoshua, “יהוה our Elohim we serve, and His voice we obey.”
Then, about two years later…..
1425 – 1250 BC Book of Judges
The following tables chart a brief review of the worship of pagan gods and apostasy in the 12 tribes.
Please take special note of the dates, as we travel through Yisra’El’s history to 700 BC.
Remember: 200 years earlier Moses had given very strict commands to Yisra’El so the people would be kept free from the worship of pagan gods.
Did Yisra’El have troubles with running after the sun gods and moon gods in the remainder of the history of the Tanakh?
1250 BC Gideon as Judge
Jdg 10:6 And the children of Yisra’ĕl again did evil in the eyes of יהוה. This apostasy seems to have exceeded every former one in the grossness and universality of the idolatry practiced. The Hebrews adopted the objects of worship among the several pagan countries bordering the district of Palestine in which they lived. Some scholars feel Yisra’El may have actually erected a Pantheon. It’s hard to believe Yisra’El became universal idolaters, adopting every god of the surrounding nations. Baalim and Ashtaroth signify gods and goddesses in general reckoned as:
- The gods of Syria; Bel and Saturn, or Jupiter and Astarte
- Gods of Zidon; Ashtoreth, Astarte or Venus
- The gods of Moab; Chemosh
- Gods of the children of Ammon; Milcom
- Gods of the Philistines; Dagon
YaHuWaH gave Yisra’El up to be in bondage to the Philistines and Ammonites.
1120 – 1055 BC Samuel and Saul
Saul’s consequences for apostasy:
1Sa 31:3 And the battle went hard against Sha’ul, and the archers hit him so that he was severely wounded by the archers.
1Sa 31:5 And when his armor-bearer saw that Sha’ul was dead, he also fell on his sword, and died with him.
King Solomon – was the Wisest Man
- He diligently made provisions for his military court and other personnel during the 40 years of his reign.
- Let’s examine one Scriptural account dating 3000+ years after Adam and how this links to the Eternal Calendar when he ruled according to the laws of Moses.
- The following information of King Solomon’s instructions will be in alignment with the Eternal Calendar.
990 – 985 BC Solomon
Solomon started out with good intentions, but how long did it last?
Other ‘gods’ of Solomon? 985 BC
1 Kings 11:5-10
1Ki 11:5 And Shelomoh went after Ashtoreth the mighty one of the Tsiḏonians and after Milkom the abomination of the Ammonites.
1Ki 11:6 Thus Shelomoh did evil in the eyes of יהוה and did not follow יהוה completely, like his father Dawiḏ.
1Ki 11:7 Then Shelomoh built a high place for Kemosh the abomination of Mo’aḇ, on the hill that is east of Yerushalayim, and for Moleḵ the abomination of the children of Ammon.
1Ki 11:8 And so he did for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and slaughtered to their mighty ones.
1Ki 11:9 Therefore יהוה was enraged with Shelomoh because his heart had turned away from יהוה Elohim of Yisra’ĕl, who had appeared to him twice,
1Ki 11:10 and had commanded him concerning this word, not to go after other mighty ones. But he did not guard what יהוה had commanded.
905 – 785 BC Ahab, Athaliah, Amaziah
785 BC Yisra’El’s Pagan Feasts
Yisra’El’s pagan feast-keeping was a huge snare to their worship.
760 – 740 BC Abominations of Ahaz
The Tanakh is filled with pagan abominations!
725 – 710 BC King Hoshea, King Manasseh, King Hezekiah
What will happen in the next 300 years of history?
This is what YaHuWaH says:
Jer 6:16 Thus said יהוה, “Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and find rest for yourselves. But they said, ‘We do not walk in it.’
- Approximately 700 years before, both Moses and Joshua had given very firm, strict counsel to Yisra’El to NOT be enticed by the pagans and their gods for sun worship and moon worship.
- Yisra’El did NOT heed the counsel. This is basically their sad history with rounds of pagan bondage and cries for deliverance throughout the whole Tanakh.
- Next, YaHuWaH steps in with two signs to see if He can’t move His people to follow His ways for the next 700 years. What are the two signs?
What are your thoughts on the backsliding ways of Yisra’El and their worship of pagan gods? What should YaHuWaH do?
Back to our Question:
Why would YaHuWaH’s people be enticed to exchange their worship for pagan gods?
About 701 BC YaHuWaH said: ‘Enough is Enough’!
Hezekiah’s sundial miracle is the next major event sent by YaHuWaH to correct Yisra’El’s apostasy with the ‘moon goddess’!
Will that decision affect the calendar they observe?
In the next study we will search for the answers to many questions with an investigation of Judah’s history from 700-400 BC about who else may be responsible for taking away the Keys to YaHuWaH’s Eternal Calendar.
- Yisra’El’s 10 tribes only apostatized!
- Samaria is part of Yisra’El.
- Galilee? We’ll see!
- Judah? Hmmmm….
- Are there Others?
To find out who else is guilty and what happened to YaHuWaH’s Eternal Calendar stay tuned for Part 9.